The Council of Europe has published a call for participants for a seminar that will explore how youth participation in Internet Governance can be ensured in a meaningful and inclusive manner and will formulate recommendations for future action to be taken by the Youth Department and the Council of Europe to support youth participation.
The objectives of the seminar are:
– to develop a shared understanding of youth participation in Internet governance and analyse the achievements and pitfall of current youth participation in these processes;
– to critically review the ways youth participation in Internet Governance is reflected in youth policy and envisage ways it should be;
– to further explore what are the rights, the means, the spaces, the opportunities and the support required by young people in order to meaningfully participate in the shaping of the Internet;
– to share experiences of youth participation in Internet governance fora and online youth participation at local/national/ international level, and reflect on the successes and pitfalls;
– to elaborate policy and programme recommendations for the Youth Department and the Council of Europe that aim to support and enhance youth participation in Internet Governance.
Programme and methodology
The three day programme will aims to provide a space for participants to learn about the topic of the
seminar, to share from their practices and experience, to identify challenges and opportunities and
work towards a common approach and actions. The programme will therefore include plenary
presentations and several working group sessions.
The seminar aims to bring together 35 participants that fulfil the following profile:
– are representatives of national youth councils and national youth organisations already
involved or motivated to become involved in national Internet Governance processes;
– are representatives of local/national/international youth organisations and networks actively
involved in matters of youth policy and youth participation;
– are representatives of public authorities involved in Internet governance fora at national and/or
– representatives of Internet services, online gaming, and other companies interested in further
development of Internet governance and youth participation;
– show clear motivation to follow up the seminar with measures to ensure youth participation in
Internet governance matters and fora;
– are able to work autonomously in English language;
– are resident in a state party to the European Cultural Convention, exceptions are possible;
– are able to attend the entire duration of the seminar
Venue and date: Strasbourg, 24-26 October 2017
The deadline for applications is Wednesday, 6 September 2017, 13:00 CET.
For the detailed call and application, click here.